Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day Weekend Exploits

Friday: Father's Day Weekend did not start off as planned. As I departed from work at noon on Friday, it was brought to my attention that my son's day care was having a Father's Day celebration. There went my afternoon....well, that was my immediate thought. Instead, I was treated to a root beer float when I got there, plus all the play time I wanted with my son in HIS environment. What a treat.

Still, I needed some time to decompress. When my wife (yes, I said it, "my wife") came home that evening from a long day at work, we both agreed to spend some time together. So there we sat on the back porch, nothing but the light of the citronella candle, discussing the topics of the day and the weekend to come.

I chose to light a Cain Habano Nub. I have heard a lot about this cigar, but until you try it, the descriptions offer no justice. This was a very mild cigar, but the smoke was pleasant. It was relaxing with a nice even draw, and a more even burn. There was almost no aftertaste. This was the perfect conversation piece with a relatively quick smoke.

Saturday: We were invited to Rachel's place for taco night. The weather last night was perfect. It was not too hot, but still the beer was cold. I was able to share 2 cigars throughout the night. Additionally, I enjoyed 2 beers that I really liked. The first one was Weyerbacher Blanche (a Belgian-style Wit beer). Stephanie, if you're reading this, I recommend it. It was light and refreshing as you expect from Wit or Witte beers. The second beer was Snapperhead IPA (by Butternuts Beer and Ale--makers of Pork Slap Pale Ale). By far, this was the best IPA I've had in a can. It had the perfect amount of hoppiness to provide a tart flavor on the palette, but didn't leave a bitter aftertaste. This was one of the most refreshing beers I've ever had, and I became a fan at the first sip (okay it wasn't a sip, but that sounded more elegant).

Back to the smokes....I enjoyed a Nub Cameroon 464 Torpedo. This is one of my favorites, and I look forward to every time I get to enjoy it. It was also my Father's Day gift from my son, so that made it extra special. The second smoke I enjoyed was a Romeo Y Julieta Habana Reserve Belicoso. This box-pressed cigar had a creamy flavor. This was a great ending to a great evening with friends that I don't get to see too often.

Now my Sunday is going to be well-spent on my couch watching Rory live up to his potential.

On a final note: Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there. If you're fighting/stationed overseas, please be safe and many thanks from me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment