Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Weekend of Smoke

Rather symbolically, the transition from 2011 to 2012 was masked in clouds of illustrious smoke. With a slower week at work, I was left with some extra time to enjoy a few cigars with some old friends and some new friends.

Wednesday, December 28th
It was a chilly day in Central New Jersey, so time spent outside was going to be short. Luckily, a Viaje Skull & Bones "Little Boy" was residing in my humidor. This was a powerful, short smoke. To steal a line from my friend, Ed, "That one had my legs shaking." For such a small cigar, this one packed a lot of power. Every now and then, I like a full-bodied smoke, but this one was slightly overpowering.

Thursday, December 29th
As a farewell to 2011 with my friend Ed, I treated us both to a nice smoke. Ed smoked a nice Rocky Patel Decade that I set him up with. I sat down with the CAO OSA which I originally had liked. I found that the flavor had dwindled or that my palette may have become bored with the flavor. Although I was in good company, I just didn't enjoy this smoke. I haven't heard too much from "Joe Consumer" on anyone else's enjoyment of this cigar, so if you have a comment please let me know.

Friday, December 30th
My last visit to Tobacco Leaf (for 2011). As the perfect end to my last day of work for the year, I met my wife for a quick, but well-needed lunch date. Once she returned to work, I pampered myself with a haircut and the purchase of a six pack of beer to be enjoyed on New Year's Eve (keep reading for the outcome of that). I found myself with a couple of hours to spare, so I paid a visit to my local cigar retailer. Jolly (the store owner) set me up with a nice cigar--Don Pepin Garcia Series JJ. This cigar was perfect for my palette. The oscuro wrapper was creamy, and the flavor was very smooth. What I haven't mentioned is the perfecto shape. In my own amateur opinion, this was a well-rolled, well-constructed cigar that burned evenly and never warranted a re-light. I will be smoking this cigar again.

Saturday, December 31st
We spent New Year's Eve with our friends in Flemington. I don't know about you, but we were blessed with a mild evening. I spent some time with a Joya de Nicaragua AntaƱo Dark Corojo that had been aging in my humidor since September. The cigar had dried out a little bit, but after about 5 minutes, the flavor I had originally experienced finally developed. The chocolaty undertones mixed with a creamy smoke really make this a pleasant smoke. I recommend the robusto for a quick, yet enjoyable experience.

Sunday, January 1st
On a day full of football, I needed to escape from the first round of games. In my humidor, I had been storing an A. Turrent Triple Play Maduro for a friend for over a year. It turns out that he passed up a great opportunity. The cigar kept very well. Once again, it was fairly mild in the afternoon, so I was comfortable sitting outside catching up with family and friends. To my surprise, the cigar still maintained its flavor. I imagine that some of the flavor may have deteriorated, but nonetheless, I was satisfied with the flavor. The cigar maintained a steady draw, although it was a little loose. It burned very evenly, and I never needed to relight it. I think the next cigar I buy will be a fresher version of this smoke (stay tuned for an update).

If you're reading my blog, I would like to wish you a Happy New Year and hope for prosperity as the year progresses. Please leave a note as I like to hear people's thoughts and opinions on what I'm writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment