Sunday, January 29, 2012

A Color-full Weekend

Without intention, my weekend took on a colorful theme.


After a busy week at work, and an even busier Friday, I went to Tobacco Leaf in Lawrenceville for a relaxing smoke to take the stress away. I started the weekend with a cigar I had been meaning to try for a while. I opted for the Alec Bradley Black Market Torpedo (54 x 6 1/8"). The cigar had just enough power that it wasn't overwhelming. There were no tastes that stood out right away although it had some spice to it. As I progressed with the smoke, it developed a mild aftertaste. As for the construction, the cigar bowed as I got through the first inch or so. It was annoying, but it could have been worse. The wrapper was oily and dark, one of my favorite qualities in a cigar. The price was affordable, and I would definitely smoke this one again.

Continuing on with the colorful weekend, we made our way into Newtown, PA, for a Saturday lunch and a stroll in-town. We ate lunch at Isaac Newton's where I was eager to try a couple of drafts from the tap. This place has an impressive selection on their permanent taps, and the rotating taps complement it. I started off with the Allagash White Belgian Wheat Ale. The beer was a crisp and refreshing (overused terms for beer, but well needed to describe this one). It was incredibly smoky. I paired it with a burger, but I think it would pair better with grilled chicken or shrimp. Next, I enjoyed a Green Flash West Coast IPA. Talk about hoppy. This IPA was full of hops...pungent flavor was met with a creamy texture and a slight delay in developing a citrusy and floral aftertaste. This was the perfect complement to the burger, but also paired well with the Belgian-style fries. Note: If you end up going to Isaac Newton's, make sure you get the fries. Even if you only order soup or salad, get a side of fries. They are some of the best I've ever had.

Lastly, I stopped in at the Tobacco Leaf in Newtown. I bought a Partagas Black Label Clasico (54 x 5 1/4"). We arrived back home and I was still incredibly full from lunch. I had some work to get done, so I took my computer outside and braved the cool breezy afternoon to enjoy this smoke. The immediate taste I got was a spicy, yet sweet, blast of flavor....think black pepper mixed with 70% chocolate. As much as I enjoyed the flavor of this smoke, the construction of the wrapper left somethings to be desired. Immediately after I lit it, the wrapper began to crackle. A seam opened up as I finished the first half of the cigar, and it began spewing smoke from the side. The crack in the side turned me off and I quickly lost interest in the cigar. Overall, the cigar was medium-full bodied at best (although the website decribes it as full-bodied). It maintained it's flavor for the entirety of the smoke. The cigar was decently priced, so I didn't feel like all was lost. In the future, I might try this again, but it won't be my first choice.

Stay smoky my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment